Call me on 0845 402 1850
The Life Walk Process (Self Help Coaching Resource)
If you are looking for a reflective way to spend a sunny morning this Summer then why don't you give my Life Walk Process a try. This is a process I developed ten years ago to help coaching clients take stock of their unfolding life-journey.
During the warmer months, I often hold my coaching sessions outdoors in Nature or in London's great parks. Many parks have gorgeous avenues of trees. These avenues prompted me to develop the Life Walk process. I sometimes facilitate this process with clients, but it can be a revealing process to do by yourself.
So, one sunny day, get yourself down to the local park (Battersea, Hyde, Green and St James are all great!), and see what you can learn about yourself.
The Life Walk Process
This simple exercise creates a sense of perspective, journey and progress through your life. Be playful and take a friend along if you'd like.
Find a park with an avenue of trees in a row. Count the trees and take note of how many there are. Use each tree to represent the passing of 7 years. When I use the splendid avenue of London Plane trees in Battersea Park, each tree represents 7 years.
- Go to the first tree, this is the time that you were born. Take some quality time there to reflect on the circumstances of what you know about your birth, feeling into your relationships with your parents and life at that time. Feel into being a new-born version of yourself. Feel feelings, take perspectives, compassionately reflect, take some notes if you like.
- Move onto the next tree, you are now 7 years old. Take some quality time there to reflect on the circumstances of what you know about being a 7yo version of yourself. Feeling into your relationships with parents and family and life at that time. Feel into being a 7yo version of yourself. Feel feelings, take perspectives, compassionately reflect, take some notes if you like.
- Move onto the next tree, you are now 14 years old. Take some quality time there to reflect on the events and circumstances of what you know about being a 14yo version of yourself. Reflect on events. Feel into your relationships with parents, family and friends at that time. Feel feelings, take perspectives, compassionately reflect, take some notes if you like.
- Move onto the next tree and add another 7years. Continue with this process until you reach the tree that represents your current age. When you reach that point, look back down the avenue of trees. How do you feel about your life journey so far? How have you loved and loved yourself? Make notes.
- Now turn to look forwards, into the future. Reflect on what you want for yourself into the future. What do you want more of? What do you want less of?
- Start to walk into the future, one tree, seven years at a time. At each tree, reflect on what life might be like at that age. Look back, take notes. Face towards the future and reflect on what you could change today that would make your future journey even more passionate, purposeful, or peaceful?
- Keep going into your 70's 80's and beyond! How long might you like to live?
- When you have completed the process, go enjoy an ice-cream.
I hope you enjoy this exercise and find it valuable. At the very least, enjoy your walk in the park! When I facilitate the process, there are loads of additional subtleties that we can explore. If you'd like me to facilitate it for you, do Get in Touch!
I have always been fascinated by the life-perspectives that this process generates for people. At its core, it reveals to us how short life's journey really is. It teaches us to make the most of every day, rather than letting life happen to us.
Sometimes there is value in exploring 7-Year cycles with a client. If the Life Walk Process intrigues you, see if you can spot your life's 7-year cycles. Which very generally might look something like this…
14-28 Outward observing
21-28 Inward observing
28-35 Reshaping based on observations
28-42 Reforming inside and outside
42-56 Being a time of expressive outward being
Life Coaching is about supporting people through change. There's a good chance that this process might prompt you to make changes. But as is so often the case, there are brave people, and then there's you! Maybe the only bravery that is needed is to ask for some support! Rather than coercing and bludgeoning yourself into making a change, I can hold a coaching space for you that sponsors change from a deeper place.
Together we can explore the philosophies of living powerfully as a human being. Knowing the higher realm and deeper truths, knowing the beauty of life, and knowing the fulfilment of growth. Our work together can transcend whatever situation you find yourself in, wherever you started from. Often, when there is no mystical element to life, no elevated order, no magical discovery, we feel lost. What if intelligence were everywhere, not just in our heads. If you are in tune with the truth, then the time to change will come at the right time.
If you are going to be an authentic individual... How do you do it? How do you get confidence to do it? How can you change your world and therefore, the World? I can help, do give me a call.
My clients come from all walks of life and all corners of the globe. They are productive and capable people living full-lives. They are in-tune with their growth and are always interested in strategies to be more peaceful. If you are interested in bringing more peace into your life, I can help you. Together we will evolve juicy strategies to have you feel more peaceful, transformed, and alive.
Do get in touch for a confidential initial consultation to see if I can help you return to inner happiness that is your birth right.